Parliament passes the Arms (Amendment) Bill, 2019. Ancestral guns may be retained in a Deactivated State : MoS Home, Kishan Reddy
Internet and all communication lines shut off in Tripura after reported clashes on the CAG Bill
Maharashtra: Portfolios haven’t been decided yet, when fill farmers get assistance? – Former CM Devendra Fadnavis
Brutal lathi charge on NSUI National President Neeraj kundan & other student activists peacefully protesting for students’ welfare, demanding fee reduction & an end to privatization of education : Shashi Tharoor
We regret the inaccurate and unwarranted comments made by USCIRF on CAB. They have chosen to be guided by their prejudices and biases on a matter on which they have little knowledge and no locus standi: @MEAIndia
Two AIIMS like institutions in Jammu and Srinagar and eight medical colleges in J&K and Ladakh regions approved by the centre
The countdown for the launch of/ mission commenced today at 1640 Hrs (IST) from Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC) SHAR, Sriharikota : ISRO
India crosses the 300 mark in the SAFGames2019 ! Congratulates the Indian contingent for topping the medal table and crossing the triple century mark. Well done, team!! : Union Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju
Rashtrapati Bhavan to host a musical evening tomorrow -December 11 with eminent singer Suresh Wadkar
Ranking of Sri Lanka as the No 1 winter destination by USA TODAY is a golden opportunity for us to broaden the foundation laid, for development of tourism: Gotabaya Rajapaksa – President of Sri Lanka
Ancestral guns may be retained in a Deactivated State: MoS Home G Kishan Reddy
Parliament today passed the Arms (Amendment) Bill, 2019.
Speaking on the Bill in Rajya Sabha, Minister of State for Home Affairs, G. Kishan Reddy explained in detail the provisions of the amendment and responded to the apprehensions of the Members :
- He stated that this amendment is not being brought with any political consideration, but to check acts of terrorism and insurgency and use of illegal arms, which is in favour of the common people.
- Kishan Reddy informed that India stands at third position in number of suicides committed with guns and even licensed arms are being put to wrong use, which needs to be prevented, and thus, the proposed amendments are being brought in the Arms Act.
- Accepting suggestions from the Members, the Minister said that in addition to the limit of two guns being allowed under the latest amendments, individuals would be allowed to retain ancestral guns in a deactivated state.
- This means that such guns may be kept as demo guns, which must not be in a condition to fire, he added.
- Government plans to introduce bullets with serial numbers, so as to keep them accounted and traceable.
Source : PIB
‘We won’t be supporting the CAB in the Rajya Sabha if..’
Office of Uddhav Thackeray, OfficeofUT:
- “There’s a perception that whoever votes with the Central Government is a patriot and who voted against is anti national. We must get out of that illusion”
- We voted yesterday to absorb various people facing brutalities in other countries but we have asked many questions. Those questions we thought would be answered, ranging from national security to rights of locals in various states of India.
- If these queries are not answered, we won’t be supporting the CAB in the Rajya Sabha. Every party supporting or opposing it, is asking for clarity in national interest. Clarity must be ensured.
‘I urge Nitish Kumar to reconsider support to the CAB in the Rajya Sabha’
@PavanK_Varma -National General Secretary, Janata Dal (United) :
- I urge Shri Nitish Kumar to reconsider support to the CAB in the Rajya Sabha. The Bill is unconstitutional, discriminatory, and against the unity and harmony of the country, apart from being against the secular principles of the JDU.
- Gandhiji would have strongly disapproved it.
‘here are the last two minutes that I would have spoken’ : Shashi Tharoor
My first intervention in the Citizenship Amendment Bill debate in the Lok Sabha yesterday opposed the introduction of the bill on the grounds that Parliament has no legislative competence to violate the Constitution.
My second intervention came in the evening. I was allotted just 5 minutes towards the end of the debate but the Chair, @M_Lekhi, interrupted &then cut off the mike after just 3 minutes of speaking time, as the video reveals: https://t.co/7ixEkpDAhq?amp=1
So since I was not able to conclude my speech on the Citizenship Amendment Bill in the LokSabha, here are the last two minutes that I would have spoken if the Chair had a little more respect for democracy:
So since I was not able to conclude my speech on the #CitizenshipAmendmentBill in the LokSabha, here are the last two minutes that I would have spoken if the Chair had a little more respect for democracy: pic.twitter.com/oo07UoDiNX
— Shashi Tharoor (@ShashiTharoor) December 10, 2019
Sri Sri Ravi Shankar on the Citizenship Amendment Bill
- I had met Dr Kalam when he was President regarding the citizenship of Sri Lankan Tamil refugees.
- We also presented 10 million signatures from Tamil Nadu to the Mamohan Singh Govt.
- While Sri Lankan refugees have been given citizenship in Europe,Canada & other countries.
- They are still living in refugee camps in India.
- I have personally visited these refugee camps & their plight is really woeful.
‘Urged the Centre to extend reservation in Legislature to Anglo Indian community too’
- Spoke on The Constitution (126th Amendment) Bill, 2019. Questioned the Centre on why no study was undertaken to ascertain how reservation has benefited SC/ST and backward classes.
- Recommended Centre to take holistic approach to what can be done to improve the socio economic status of backward classes to that of general category.
- Questioned the Centre on why our Anglo Indians are excluded from reservation, while we are opening our borders for minorities from other countries.
- Urged the Centre to extend reservation in Legislature to Anglo Indian community too.
- In spirit of federalism recommended Centre to undertake consultations with States and stakeholders before drafting legislation
NSUI holds ‘Chhatra Adhikar’ rally protesting against the condition of educational institutions
Oomen Chandy – Former Chief Minister of Kerala :
- A peaceful protest demanding students’ welfare, fee reduction, curbing privatization of education and the safety and security of every girl child was met with brutal state repression, in which NSUI national president Neeraj Kudanji & others were assaulted.
Shashi Tharoor :
- Brutal lathi charge on NSUI National President Neeraj kundan & other student activists peacefully protesting for students’ welfare, demanding fee reduction & an end to privatization of education.
Brutal lathi charge on NSUI National President @Neerajkundan &other student activists peacefully protesting for students’ welfare, demanding fee reduction & an end to privatization of education.#ChhatraAdhikarRally. Shameful behaviour by @DelhiPolice. pic.twitter.com/6wXXFd6v6u
— Shashi Tharoor (@ShashiTharoor) December 10, 2019
Kamal Haasan meets Shan
Makkal Neddhi Maiam President Kamal Haasan invited Chennai Techie Shanmuga Subramanian, whose search helped locating the Vikram lander, to his office and extended his congratulations and conveyed his appreciation.
Pic Courtesy : @maiamofficial
‘a fond farewell to an exceptional envoy’
@DrSJaishankar – External Affairs Minister :
- Bidding a fond farewell to an exceptional envoy: High Commissioner Syed Muazzem Ali and his wife Tuhfa.
- India Bangladesh ties underwent a transformation during his tenure. Will miss them both.
‘Orange the World’
- Today Rashtrapati Bhavan is lit up in orange to raise awareness about violence faced by women the world over.
- This is part of UNITE to End Violence against Women campaign of the UN.
- This year the theme of the campaign is “Orange the World: Generation Equality Stands against Rape”
Pic Courtesy : @rashtrapatibhvn
Bollywood actor Suniel Shetty appointed Brand Ambassador of National Anti Doping Agency
- I’m gald that Fitness icon of Bollywood, Suniel V Shetty has been appointed as Brand Ambassador of National Anti Doping Agency, NADA.
- We are committed to clean and drug free sports.
‘Let’s Celebrate Design’
- Kerala is fast emerging as a creative hub.
- This week, Kochi will host India’s largest design festival.
- The 2nd edition of the Kochi Design Week will be held at Bolgatty Palace.
- It will be a confluence of leading designers, industry experts & artists.
- Let’s Celebrate Design