On 23rd January 1897, Janakinath Bose wrote in his diary, “A son was born at midday.” This son became a valorous freedom fighter and thinker who devoted his life towards one great cause- India’s freedom. I refer to Netaji Bose, who we proudly remember on his Jayanti today : PM Modi
Tributes to the great Balasaheb Thackeray on his Jayanti. Courageous and indomitable, he never hesitated from raising issues of public welfare. He always remained proud of Indian ethos and values. He continues to inspire millions : PM Modi
PM Narendra Modi paying tributes to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose on his Jayanti
Pic Credit: @PIB_India
Vice President Venkaiah Naidu unveiled the statue of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose on his 123rd Birth Anniversay, at Raj Bhawan, in Chennai today
M. Venkaiah Naidu, Vice President of India, @VPSecretariat:
- Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose unfurled the Tricolor in Port Blair on 30th December 1943 and declared Andaman and Nicobar Islands to be the first Indian Territory to be freed from British Raj.
- People of Tamil Nadu had a very close association with Indian National Army, Shri Muthuramalinga Thevar was an influential leader who was a close confidante of Netaji. He played an instrumental role in mobilizing huge support for Indian National Army.
- Time has come to revisit our history textbooks. The history should inspire our children and they should read the life stories of the heroes of our freedom struggle.
Pic Credit: @VPSecretariat
“His Majesty’s Opponent”
Shashi Tharoor, @ShashiTharoor – MP for Thiruvananthapuram:
- Launching a new edition of Sugata Bose’s marvellous book on Netaji, “His Majesty’s Opponent”, at Netaji Bhavan in Kolkata this morning.
- Also in the pic are Sugata’s mother Krishna Bose, & the legendary TM Krishna, who performed a concert for Netaji Jayanti
Pic Credit: @ShashiTharoor
‘The world is alarmed by the direction INDIA is taking’
P. Chidambaram, @PChidambaram_IN – Former Union Finance Minister:
- India has slipped 10 places in the Democracy Index.
- Anyone who has closely observed the events of the last two years knows that democracy has been eroded and democratic institutions have been debilitated those who are in power are the real ‘tukde tukde’ gang.
- The world is alarmed by the direction INDIA is taking.
- Every patriotic INDIAN should be alarmed too.
‘People’s mandate is sacrosanct and its sanctity supreme’
Pranab Mukherjee, @CitiznMukherjee – Former President of India:
- “Indian Democracy has been tested time and again. Consensus is the lifeblood of Democracy. Democracy thrives on listening, deliberating, discussing, arguing and even dissent.”
- Delivered the first Sukumar Sen lecture instituted by the Election Commission of India.
- The Election Commission has served its purpose well & any attempt at its denigration will amount to denigrating the electoral process.
- People’s mandate is sacrosanct and its sanctity supreme.
- Onus of ensuring this lies with the ECI.
- They must do so & put any speculations to rest.
Pic Credit: @CitiznMukherjee
Delhi HC calls for Status Report on investigation against Air Asia & Tata Sons
Subramanian Swamy, @Swamy39:
- The Delhi HC today directed Enforcement Directorate to file a Status Report on it’s Money Laundering Investigation against Air Asia & Tata & Sons.
- The CEO of Air Asia had been Summoned By ED for interrogation on Jan 20.
National Data and Analytics Platform (NDAP) – a platform that aims to democratize access to publicly available government data
- NITI Aayog released its vision for the National Data and Analytics Platform (NDAP) today.
- The platform aims to democratize access to publicly available government data.
- It will host the latest datasets from various government websites, present them coherently, and provide tools for analytics and visualization.
- NDAP will follow a user-centric approach and will enable data access in a simple and intuitive portal tailored to the needs of a variety of stakeholders.
- NDAP will spearhead the standardization of formats in which data is presented across sectors and will cater to a wide audience of policymakers, researchers, innovators, data scientists, journalists and citizens.
- The development of NDAP will take place over a period of one year. The first version of the platform is expected to be launched in 2021.
Pic Credit: @NITIAayog
‘An endless row of missteps’
N Chandrababu Naidu, @ncbn – President, Telugu Desam Party:
- Since YS Jagan took over, AP has witnessed an endless row of missteps taken to destroy the State and its future.
- Many of them would be unthinkable in any other state, even mocked at.
- Now we know the Chief Minister’s goal: to tear AP apart
‘Govt of India should not transfer our river waters to non-basin areas’
Capt.Amarinder Singh, @capt_amarinder – Chief Minister of Punjab:
- Had a constructive All Party Meeting on depleting Punjab’s rivers & groundwater.
- Have resolved that Govt of India should not transfer our river waters to non-basin areas as per riparian principle & urge Centre to have complete de novo assessment of rivers through fresh Tribunal.
Pic Credit: @capt_amarinder
Discussed on setting up 6 ITI hubs across the State to develop skills & increase employment opportunities for the educated youth at meeting held in Sahayadri Guesthouse, under the guidance of Pawar Saheb today: Ajit Pawar – Deputy Chief Minister, Maharashtra
Pic Credit: @AjitPawarSpeaks
“The devastating effects of government money that is ‘cut’ “
Swapan Dasgupta, @swapan55 – Member of Parliament:
- A water tank built just two years ago collapsed in a heap in Bankura, West Bengal.
- A classic example of the devastating effects of government money that is ‘cut’.
- Well done @AITCofficial
Pic Credit: @swapan55
‘Today I devote 50% of my time to Thuglak, not take a paisa from it’
S Gurumurthy, @sgurumurthy – Editor Thuglak:
- Whatsapp rumours about me and Thuglak for more than a year are spilling into Twitter.
- Here is the truth about Cho, Thuglak and me which I have written in Thuglak, and also said in recent interview to Kumudam said in detail.
- In 1988 Ramnath Goenka advised me to negotiate and buy the Thuglak from Ananda Vikatan group which owned Thuglak.
- I negotiated with Mr Balasubramanian and Thuglak was bought in a firm in which Goenka made my wife a partner with Cho as being a CA I couldn’t become a partner.
- I was reluctant to continue to be partner thro my wife and as my contribution to Thuglak was limited, my wife resiged from the firm in 1991.
- It was thereafter Cho persuaded me to write in Tamil and introduced me to Tamil journalism.
- I became an insider to Thuglak team and Cho and me worked in various political strategies.
- In 2007 Cho began insisting I should become his successor. I told him no one would buy the magazine after him and it was better for him to close down.
- But he kept in insisting and finally said even if I didn’t want to be his successor, i should become a 50% shareholder of Nachiketas Publications P Ltd which owned Thuglak by then.
- In 2008 I invested 50% capital of NPPL with Cho. Cho began indicating to all I would succeed him.
- One day I told him that Thuglak will die with him and cant continue after him.
- And at any rate I don’t have the confidence to make it work. I told him to sell it of some one would take it.
- As his health was failing in 2013, I transferred all shares to Cho so as to put it beyond any doubt that I wouldn’t take it over.
- Still Cho kept saying, many times writing on a slate when he couldn’t speak I should take over. He spoke to many to talk to me including Rajni.
- Till Cho died I never said yes to him. The day after Cho was cremated, the entire Thuglak team met me along with Varadarajan of Kumudam who was printing Thuglak that Cho had told the team that I should succeed Cho and if didn’t agree close it down slowly.
- At that point as I saw huge political changes in Tamil Nadu I decided to take the plunge.
- That was how Thuglak landed on my head. I had taken a vow in 1986 when I began writing I wouldn’t take a rupee for writing. Today I devote 50% of my time to Thuglak, not take a paisa from it.
- I need not have to grab anything from anyone.
- If I wanted Thuglak I wouldn’t have resigned from the firm in 1991 or transferred by 50% shares in 2008.
- All that I have already explained in Thuglak issues 21.12.2016 and in the current issue of Kumudam.
Dadra & Nagar Haveli
‘DD’ – a new motor vehicle registration mark
- The Union Ministry for Road Transport has assigned a new motor vehicle registration mark “DD” to ‘Dadra & Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu’ for registration of vehicles.
- This will be implemented from 26th January, 2020.
In Manipur, all work and no football, makes for a dull day: Gaurav Gogoi – Congress leader
Pic Credit: @GauravGogoiAsm