Centre inks pact with Assam Govt and Bodo leaders to end 50 year old Bodo crisis
Home Minister Amit Shah deserves congratulations from all for the Centre Bodo insurgents pact. With this pact past uncertainty in Assam borders has ended and national security enhanced: Dr Subramanian Swamy
Birthday wishes to Meghalaya’s Chief Minister Mr. @SangmaConrad. Wishing him a long and healthy life in service of the people: PM Modi
Centre, Assam Govt and Bodo leaders sign a tripartite agreement to end the 50-year-old Bodo crisis
- A historic agreement signed between GOI, Assam Govt and Bodo representatives to end a 50-year-old Bodo crisis. The agreement is in line with PM Shri Narendra Modi‘s vision for the progress of the North East and empowerment of the people of the region.
- Final & comprehensive solution to their demands has been made, while retaining the territorial integrity of Assam. After the agreement, NDFB factions will leave the path of violence, surrender their weapons & disband their armed organizations within a month of signing the deal.
- Around 1550 cadres of NDFB(P), NDFB(RD) & NDFB(S) will be rehabilitated by GOI and Assam Govt. A Special Development Package Rs. 1500 Crore will be given by the Union Government to undertake specific projects for the development of Bodo areas.
- About 4000 people died in the Bodo movement, each family that lost a member during Bodo Movement would get an ex-gratia compensation of Rs. 5 Lakh. Assam government will also notify Bodo language as the associate official language in the state.
- This historic agreement will usher in a new dawn of peace, progress and prosperity in the state of Assam. I congratulate Assam government and CM Sarbanand Sonwal for their pioneering efforts to make North-East the Ashta Lakshmi of PM Narendra Modi’s vision.
Pic Credit: @narendramodi
‘The Accord with Bodo groups successfully brings together the leading stakeholders under one framework’
Narendra Modi, @narendramodi – Prime Minister:
- Ushering in a new dawn of peace, harmony and togetherness!
- Today is a very special day for India.
- The Accord with Bodo groups, which has been inked today will lead to transformative results for the Bodo people.
- Bodo Accord inked today stands out for many reasons.
- It successfully brings together the leading stakeholders under one framework.
- Those who were previously associated with armed resistance groups will now be entering the mainstream and contributing to our nation’s progress.
- The Accord with Bodo groups will further protect and popularise the unique culture of the Bodo people.
- They will get access to a wide range of development oriented initiatives. We are committed to doing everything possible to help the Bodo people realise their aspirations.
Pic Credit: @narendramodi
Bodoland agreement has one great essential for success. The agreement is very inclusive in nature
- Bodo Peace Accord has been signed. Bodos are the single largest ethnic group of North East with 1.3 million people.
- The distinctive feature of this agreement is that all Bodo groups are signatories to the Accord. In my view, North Block is now North East Block of Central Sectt.
- The Bodo agitation became violent after 1987. In all, 4007 lives have been lost in the Bodo insurgency (2,823 civilians, 249 security personnel and 949 Bodo cadres). As many as 1550 Bodo cadres will surrender with 130 weapons on 30th January 2020.
- My request to Government of India is that the lumpsum grant/compensation should be given in the form of Government of India – 7 years Bonds.
- Otherwise, the money is spent and house sites are sold. The cadres are back on the road and their livelihood becomes a major problem.
- As the underground rebels give up their weapons, it takes them a good time to adjust to life overground.
- They feel socially left out. They think it is all because they gave up their guns. We should maintain close contact to ensure that they do not go back to the underground.
- The underground rebels have not seen money for years. They do not know how to do business. The job options in life overground are limited. There has been an experiment of recruiting them in the paramilitary force. That experiment failed miserably. They have their own lifestyle.
- They cannot follow the discipline and protocol of the paramilitary force. Then there are some personal issues. There is a returnee. He was married when went to the jungle. After waiting for some years, the wife married someone else. She has children from her second husband.
- Now she wants to return with her children from both the husbands. There are hundreds like them. It is not easy to find answers to such questions.
- The returnees need counseling. Psychological counselling is a neglected sector in our country. That part requires attention.
- Please see another case. The underground returnee was a brilliant student. When he came overground, he was given compensation and he lost it all in business. So he sold the house. Now he has nothing. His classmate was a third divisioner. He became a Contractor and has a skyscraper in the capital. Please don’t be surprised. A fourteen storeyed building is a common sight in Aizawl. That third divisioner is filthy rich, and this first divisioner does not have a square meal. He believes the gun was the best thing he ever had and laying down his biggest mistake.
- The state cannot do business for him. But we must ensure that the basic money for survival is available. So the money should not be paid in cash or fixed deposits. It should be a Government of India Bond that cannot be encashed. Otherwise, they will vent all anger against the Government of India.
- The Rehabilitation package has to be devised intelligently keeping these hard realities in view.
- Bodoland agreement has one great essential for success. The agreement is very inclusive in nature. It is signed with the established political leadership of the Bodos.
- It is only the established political leadership that can sell an Accord to the armed underground.
‘Visited the Tilak Vihar colony last night’
- I visited the Tilak Vihar colony last night & spent time with the families of victims of the 1984 Sikh Massacre.
- Reminded me of how my well meaning friends helped my parents escape this carnage when I was posted abroad as the bloodbath unfolded.
- I have decided to devote special attention to this colony as a mark of respect to those who were martyred & to those who have suffered decades of hardships.
- I will consider myself fortunate if I am able to make a small difference in the lives of these people through my Sewa.
‘You dream, I will give opportunities to fulfill those dreams’
Arvind Kejriwal, @ArvindKejriwal – Delhi CM:
- Many times our daughters do not get opportunities to move forward.
- I am giving you the confidence, you dream, I will give opportunities to fulfill those dreams – my message to the daughters of Delhi.
हमारी बेटियों को कई बार आगे बढ़ने के अवसर नहीं मिलते हैं। मैं आप को भरोसा दे रहा हूँ, आप सपने देखिए, उन सपनों को पूरा करने के अवसर हम देंगे
दिल्ली की बेटियों के लिए मेरा संदेश pic.twitter.com/VLwYEVTDEy
— Arvind Kejriwal (@ArvindKejriwal) January 27, 2020
Leader of Delhi’s Sanitary Workers’ joins AAP
Arvind Kejriwal, @ArvindKejriwal – Delhi CM:
- Sanjay Gehlot, the biggest leader of Delhi’s sanitary workers, today joined the Aam Aadmi Party along with all his supporters.
- We will be with him in getting justice for Delhi’s sanitary workers.
Pic Credit: @ArvindKejriwal
‘Good to catch up with ..’
- Good to catch up with INC Rajasthan chief and Deputy Chief Minister Sachin Pilot.
- The challenges of effective governance in the present national climate took up a good portion of our conversation.
Pic Credit : @ShashiTharoor
‘Today is Khadya Sathi Dibas’
- Today is #KhadyaSathiDibas.
- We have ensured food security of 90% of the population of #Bangla who get rice at Rs 2/kg.
- We provide special assistance to people in Jangalmahal, Hill & Aila-affected areas, farmers of Singur, tea garden workers & the Toto tribe
‘At the Makanpur fair, yesterday’
Akhilesh Yadav, @yadavakhilesh – Former Chief Minister of UP:
Pic Credit: @yadavakhilesh