Court of Special CBI judge remands P Chidambaram to police custody in ED case till October 24 in the INX Media scam. The Court has also extended the judicial custody in the CBI case till October 24 : @Bar&Bench
Starting from November 2019, during the year long celebrations of 550th Birth Anniversary of Shri Guru Nanak Dev Ji, the National Highway starting from Kapurthala connecting Gobindwal Sahib and terminating near Taran Taran in the State of Punjab has been declared as new National Highway No. 703AA and named as “Shri Guru Nanak Dev Ji Marg”: Nitin Gadkari – Union Minister
AIADMK celebrates its 48th formation day today
Sri Lanka’s third International Airport inaugurated in Jaffna. First Alliance Air flight lands at the Jaffna International Airport from Chennai
President Kovind departs for a state visit to Philippines. This is the first state visit by a President to Philippines in 13 years
550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev, founder of the Sikh faith, being celebrated across the world
It is an honour that as a mark of respect, Nepal has not only issued coins to commemorate the 550th Parkash Utsav of Guru Maharaj, but has also declared them legal tender: @HardeepSPuri – Union Minister
PM Modi addressed a public meeting in Pune. Excerpts:
- Unprecedented changes are taking place all around the world. To deal with such changes, India was in need of a powerful and capable government. You’ve chosen a suitable Govt for the next five years at the Centre.
- Haven’t you felt the effect of the New India in the last 100 days? Do you see its power? Do you see its decision-making abilities and clarity in ideas? We are doing all of this for the betterment of the country.
- The entire world can see the new-found confidence of New India. Everyone can feel the change. They are discussing #HowdyModi.
- Since the last 70 years, the entire country was facing the hurdle of Article 370. There were a lot of talks to remove it, but no one dared to do it. Was this the first Govt in India with a full majority? No, it is not.
- This decision wasn’t easy to make. Whenever we bring a change to the ongoing situation, protests are expected. But the India of 21st century will not stop at the ongoing situation, and isn’t afraid of changes.
- We’ll need to pick up some new habits as well. They include our personal and professional lives. Both skill development and skill up-gradation are key in today’s times of constant upliftment of technology.
- The Govt, the businessmen or the youth, everyone needs to stay ready for the new economy of new India. I want to ensure the youth of the nation that the next year is full of opportunities.
- Every business leader I’ve had a discussion with globally is keen to come to India. The growth in investment in India in the last five years has been five times. India, today, is one of the top-FDI friendly countries in the world.
- The Govt has recently taken a lot of measures to bolster the economy. We have taken steps to promote manufacturing, start-ups, and have given sops in corporate tax. Our Govt will take every step needed for the bright future of the Indian youth and investment.
- There has been tremendous change in air connectivity in the last five years. Under the Udan Yojana, 9 airports in Maharashtra have been connected aerially. Today, a common man can avail the services of aviation.
- For us, five-trillion dollar isn’t just a milestone, but is the oath connected to the dreams of 130 crore Indians. The bigger the economy is, the better we will be able defeat poverty, upgrade the middle-class living style and complete the aspirations of the youth
Former PM Manmohan Singh interacted with business community and the media in Mumbai today. Excerpts :
- The present slowdown and the Govt’s apathy and incapability are affecting the future and aspirations of millions of our people. The much advertised, double engine model of governance on which the BJP seeks votes has utterly failed.
- Industrial slowdown has impacted by rising Chinese imports. In 5 years, imports have risen by more than ₹ 1.22 lakh cr.
- As demand & production have contracted due to economic mismanagement, business sentiments are down across the state & many firms face closure. The Industrial slowdown is coming in India’s way to optimally utilise its demographic dividend.
- It is thus no surprise that many of our young men and women are taking up low paying jobs, investors are shifting to other states. Distress prevailing in our rural areas will add to the unemployment problems as migration increases.
- Caught between low income and high death traps, the suicide rate has doubled. The obsession with low inflation is inflicting misery on our farmers. The Central Government’s import export policies are also hurting farmers.
- While we have no control over nature, we can ensure a mitigation of the damage if we are economically sound. Unfortunately, the BJP Govts at the Centre and in Maharashtra have been unwilling to adopt people oriented policies.
- The Govt is obsessed with trying to somehow fix blame on its opponents. In the process, it is unable to find solutions that will ensure the revival of the economy particularly strengthening of our banking system.
- During agrarian distress, we delivered an effective loan waiver & ensured rural growth.
- It is my sincere belief that we need to go back to these time tested measures if we are to ensure gainful employment for our young people, farmer welfare and a better standard of living for all the people of Maharashtra.
The All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam’s 48th foundation day was celebrated by leaders of the AIADMK party at the party headquarters today.
Chief Minister Edappadi K. Palaniswami and Deputy Chief Minister O. Panneerselvam, garlanded the statues of AIADMK founder M.G. Ramachandran and former Chief Minister Jayalalithaa.
Pic Courtesy : @CMOTamilNadu
@PChidambaram_IN – Former Finance Minister :
Economic indicators –
- Per capita consumption expenditure for urban and rural India has decreased. Meaning, the poor are consuming less.
- India’s rank in the Hunger Index is 112 out of 117 countries. Meaning, there is serious hunger
Sri Lanka’s third International Airport inaugurated
- Jaffna International Airport inaugurated today by President Maithripala S, PM Ranil Wickremesinghe, Minister Arjuna Ranatunga in the presence of High Commissioner HE Taranjit Singh Sandhu & several other Ministers & MPs.
- A momentous day in bilateral cooperation between India & Sri Lanka
- India– SriLanka relationship surges ahead
- Inaugural Alliance Air flight lands at the Jaffna International Airport from Chennai.
- India remains committed to people oriented connectivity projects in lka including increased flights both ways to help tourists inflow
The inaugural flight which landed at the Jaffna
The inaugural flight which landed at #Jaffna International Airport is the first International flight for Alliance Air, Air India’s sister-carrier. CMD, Air India, Mr. Ashwani Lohani & CEO, Alliance Air, Mr. C.S. Subbiah travelled on board the Inaugural Flight. @airindiain #India pic.twitter.com/0uPFMCGBxP
— India in Sri Lanka (@IndiainSL) October 17, 2019
A historic moment says Minister of External Affairs, Dr S Jaishankar
- Bringing India Sri Lanka even closer. Welcome the opening of Jaffna International Airport today.
- Congratulate @airindiain on Alliance Air’s inaugural Chennai-Jaffna flight.
- A historic moment.
- Asuran more than being a film, it is a lesson!
- It focuses on Panchami land rights restoration, speaks against caste based community and is brave enough to question caste violence!
- Appreciation to Vetrimaran for his Story telling-Screenplay-Dialogues & Dhanush for giving life to the role
Pic Credit : @mkstalin
CPI (M), @cpimspeak :
- Oct 17th, 2020 marks the 100th year of the foundation of the Communist Party of India. CPIM Central Committee has given a call for a year-long observation of the foundation of the Party.
- These 100 years, since the formation of the Communist Party, constitutes a glorious chapter in the history of modern India – a history of fierce struggles, immense sacrifices of countless revolutionaries during the freedom struggle and subsequently.
- The formation of the Communist Party provided, for the first time, a theoretical and practical education in Marxism-Leninism to various scattered groups of revolutionaries across India.
- Small Communist groups in Bombay, Calcutta, Madras and the UP-Punjab region were all brought together for a Communist conference in Kanpur in 1925 and the Communist Party of India started functioning inside the country.
- Theoretical-ideological inputs provided by MN Roy and Rajani Palme Dutt shaped the consciousness of many of the early Indian Communists.
- Right from the start, the Communist Party began influencing the national movement. At the Ahmedabad session of the All India Congress Committee, 1921, Moulana Hasrat Mohani & Swami Kumarananda moved a resolution demanding complete independence.
- The first Communist government in Kerala, 1957, the Left Front governments in West Bengal and subsequently in Tripura, apart from its role in the Indian Parliament, contributed significantly to the evolution of modern Indian politics.
- Inclusive India shall triumph! Forward march to socialism shall continue!
Public Meeting in Kolkata to mark the occasion
- Thousands of people gathered inside the Netaji Indoor Stadium Kolkata to mark the commencement of the Centenary observation of the the foundation of the Communist Party in India. CPM leader Biman Basu presided over the event.
- CPM General Secretary Sitaram Yechury addressed the public meeting
Pic Credit: @CPIMSpeak
Railway’s Novel Idea of Promotion on Wheels:
- A special train will be travelling from Mumbai to Delhi on 16th-17th October, to promote the upcoming film, Housefull 4, along with the film’s team.
- I encourage more filmmakers to use this route to reach out to the masses.
Pic Credit: @PiyushGoyal
Hema Malini – @dreamgirlhema :
- I had celebrations for my birthday going on the whole day!
- Family & friends made it happen with Esha taking the lead & looking after all arrangements.
- I only had to go along with whatever had been planned which I did happily!
- Starting with the religious function in the morning…
Pic Credit: @dreamgirlhema
@PMuralidharRao – National General Secretary, BJP :
- Visited the historic Tongdosa temple in the Yangsan town of ROK.
- It was built in 646AD.
- The divine monastery hosts the relics ( a robe, a begging bowl & a bone from his skull) of Bhagwan Buddha.
- Also met the great Sadhak & revered Chief of the monastery and had a pleasant conversation.
Pic Courtesy : @PMuralidharRao
That is how a fight between Tigers looks like….
That is how a fight between #tigers looks like. Brutal and violent. They are territorial animals & protect their sphere. Here two brothers from #Ranthambore are fighting as forwarded. (T57, T58). pic.twitter.com/wehHWgIIHC
— Parveen Kaswan, IFS (@ParveenKaswan) October 16, 2019
What is real, what is not?
— Harsh Mariwala (@hcmariwala) October 16, 2019